This is our 26th neighborhood letter and the first one where my ramblings were so long that we put them on a separate inserted piece of paper. In this section of the letter you’ll get to learn about a ton of new stuff, some special holiday offerings and get a recipe for a delicious pound cake. On the other sheet, you’ll find what will seem like a journal entry. In it, I (Dennis) share some of my recent experiences and thoughts.
As always, we are honored that you choose to be our guests at our restaurants and/or hotels and that you choose to receive these letters. (If you don’t want to get them any longer, please just email us at email@example.com. Also, if you would like to get our news online, please sign up on any of our websites to receive email updates or “like” our Facebook pages.)
Cheers! Dennis & Nancy King Quaintance
to read our entire Neighborhood Letter or click the links below for
articles of interest...
© 2010 Quaintance-Weaver
As you undoubtedly know, we are wild about London Taxis. We use them as livery vehicles for the O.Henry and Proximity and now we are using them to make sure that the vegetables for our restaurants arrive in comfort and style.
“Explain that,” you ask? Well, over the past few years Jay Pierce and Leigh Hesling have been running around to farmers markets to get a lot of the vegetables and fruit they serve. Clearly any chef has a huge head start to win the flavor game when they start with the best stuff and most often the nearer the farm to the fork the better the flavor; and the farm fresh food is at the markets. We thought it would be good if they had vehicles to transport this precious cargo cool, rather than overheating in back of their pick-up trucks. The London Taxis are perfect, easy to load, the AC in the passenger compartment holds the optimal temperature plus it is great fun to toodle around town in one of these iconoclastic cars.
Live Local “Organic” Music Plus Specials
• Mussels-Wine-Music: Each Wednesday evening, Print Works Bistro features Chef Leigh Hesling’s Mussels (more for less, with our house-cut fries) for $15, five wines from $10 to $15 a bottle and live acoustic music from 7-10 PM by AM rOdeO with the extraordinary talents of Evan Olson & Jessica Mashburn playing original music along with some favorites with a local twist. Check out their brand new CD, available on iTunes or at their performances.
• Skillet Fried Chicken and Live Soulful Songs: Every Tuesday night, enjoy Chef Pierce’s cooked-to-order fried chicken with great fixings (plus the full menu), the very talented Laurelyn Dossett playing mostly original music, and special pricing on some craft brews and wine. Dinner begins at 4 PM. Please check lucky32.com for times for the live music.
• Wizard of Oz Tea at O.Henry Hotel: Join us in bringing the story of The Wizard of Oz to life on Sunday, November 7 at 2 PM “There’s no place like home” at our tea party as you enjoy special treats, crafts, and community seating at whimsically decorated tables surrounded by characters such as Dorothy, the Scarecrow, Tin Man, the Lion and munchkins. Included with each reservation is a ticket to The Community Theatre of Greensboro’s 16th annual production of The Wizard of Oz good for any of their eight November shows. Cost is $50 each for adults and children plus tax and a 20% service charge. Call Green Valley Grill for reservations at 336-854-2015.
• Cooking Class at Lucky 32 Southern Kitchen in Cary: Chef Jay Pierce’s new cooking classes in Cary have been a big hit. The next one is Saturday, November 13, 11 AM-1 PM. It is sure to be another fun and informative cooking class, complete with a three-course lunch, matched with wine! He will demonstrate some favorite recipes from Lucky’s, as well as give helpful cooking tips accompanied by open banter with this talented, enthusiastic and well read chef. Class is $39 per guest. For reservations, please call Lucky 32 in Cary at 919-233-1632.
• Beaujolais Day at Print Works Bistro: Celebrate the first wine of the new harvest as we tip our hats and a glass to a fun French tradition. On November 18, we’ll serve Beaujolais Nouveau and a few menu specials that pair well with the wine.
• Turkey-to-Go: Enjoy Green Valley Grill’s wonderful cooking with Thanksgiving-to-Go. Place your order by 10 PM, Monday, November 22, and then stop by on Thanksgiving Day to pick up your juicy, wood-fired,
• Christmas Dinner-to-Go: Enjoy Christmas morning around the tree instead of in the kitchen. Let Print Works Bistro do your cooking with its Christmas Dinner-to-Go. Place your order by 10 PM, Tuesday, December 21, and then stop by Christmas Day from 10:30 AM until 3 PM to pick up your holiday feast with Honey Dijon glazed ham, roasted ducks or prime rib! To learn more, make your reservation or to place your order, call Print Works Bistro at 336-379-0699 or visit printworksbistro.com.
• EMFjazz&blues at Print Works Bistro: Enjoy live jazz music on the first Friday of each month, 10 PM until 12:30 AM. We are delighted to partner with the Eastern Music Festival to provide Greensboro with a live Jazz music series while you dine and drink late night. There will not be a cover charge for most performances.
• Holiday Dining: On both Thanksgiving and Christmas Day, Print Works Bistro and Green Valley Grill will be open 12 Noon-8 PM (with several holiday specials) and the bar will be open until 10 PM. Plus, Print Works will be open for breakfast from 7:30 until 11 AM. For the first time, Lucky 32 Southern Kitchen in Cary will serve Thanksgiving dinner from 4 until 9 PM. Lucky 32 in Greensboro will be closed both days
• Nutcracker Tea at O.Henry Hotel: This holiday tradition delights all ages as we combine traditions of the holiday season on Sunday, December 5, 12 and 19, at 2 PM Dreams of dancing sugar plum fairies, toy soldiers and waltzing flowers have inspired the special treats that will accompany your choice of tea, warm apple cider or hot chocolate. Afterwards, each child can decorate an ornament and help our chefs make gingerbread houses; all accompanied by music and costumed characters. Afterwards, join Clara by the tree as she reads The Nutcracker. Bring your camera! Cost is $38 per person for adults and children, plus 20% service charge. Call Green Valley Grill at 336-854-2015 for reservations.
• Gift Certificates: You can order Quaintance-Weaver gift certificates that can be used at any of our businesses by going to qwrh.com or calling our Gift Certificate Hotline at 336-370-0966. We’ll put the gift certificates in the mail to you, or to the fortunate recipient.
• Group Celebrations: Just a reminder that we offer reservations, call-ahead seating and even a pre-ordering service at all three restaurants (this allows more time with your guests and speeds up the service). At Lucky’s in Cary, we can handle up to 70 people in our semi-private dining area. In Greensboro, the private dining room seats 10, and we can host larger parties in the dining room. To enjoy the extraordinary food from Green Valley Grill or Print Works Bistro in the beautiful private event spaces of the hotels, please contact the events team at ?336-544-9615 (O.Henry) or 336-478-9111 (Proximity). They can host an intimate gathering of 15 or a bash for 150.
• Get Lucky & PARTY! No time to prepare that covered dish? Let us cook for your office gathering or weekend party. You call, we cook and we bring your order right to your car when you arrive. Pick up half-pint and pint options of collards, soup, beans and greens, whipped sweet potatoes, creamy grits, pimento cheese, artichoke dip, and don’t forget the black bean cakes. For complete Get Lucky & Go menus, visit lucky32.com.
• The Gift of the Magi Package: Give yourself or someone else the wonderful gift of a holiday getaway to O.Henry Hotel. This package includes relaxation in a graciously-appointed guestroom and a $30 voucher, which can be applied towards dinner at Green Valley Grill, afternoon tea in the social lobby or in-room dining. Remember your stay with a complimentary copy of The Gift of the Magi and other short stories by O.Henry. Also includes a full, hot breakfast buffet, early check-in. and a late check-out of 2 PM the next day for only $199 plus tax. Available on Friday or Saturday nights from November 27 until December 12, or any night from December 13 until January 10, 2011 (excluding New Year’s Eve). For reservations for these, please call 336-854-2000. And find more packages at ohenryhotel.com.
• Neighborhood Rate: We would like for YOU, our good neighbors and friends to experience the enchantment of our hotels for yourselves, or give the gift of luxury to someone you love. Take advantage of our Neighborhood Rate of $159 at the Proximity and $169 at the O.Henry per night plus tax - valid from November 21 through 28 and December 15 through January 10, 2011 (excluding New Year’s Eve). The perfect opportunity for you to see for yourself what makes the O.Henry and the Proximity Hotels so special!
• Chef Leigh’s 2011 Cooking Classes: Mark that hard-to-find holiday gift off your list! Join Chef Leigh Hesling for next year’s series of six cooking classes, three at Print Works Bistro (March 12, June 11 & September 17) and three at Green Valley Grill (February 12, July 16 & October 29). Classes will be $68 per guest or mix and match a three class package for $185 and a six class package for $350. For cooking class gift tickets, contact Lee Healy at 336-478-9126 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Sustainable Cheer Package: Stay on a Friday or Saturday night at Proximity Hotel from November 27 till December 12, or any night from December 13 until January 10, 2011 (except New Year’s Eve) and receive a special rate of $199 plus tax, which includes a $30 amenity voucher that can be used towards Print Works Bistro and other amenities in the hotel. Celebrate the Holiday Season by checking in at 2PM and going to the Friendly Center for holiday shopping. When you return, enjoy a very special lunch or dinner at the Print Works Bistro. The following day relax and take advantage of a late check-out of 2 PM Please call 336-379-8200 for package reservations.
• New Year’s Hotel “$211 in 2011” Packages: Celebrate the arrival of the New Year at the O.Henry or Proximity Hotels with priority reservations at one of our great restaurants and a champagne toast for two so you can celebrate New Year’s with your loved one in one of our beautiful guestrooms to "Ring in the New Year", all for $211 plus tax. Stay for two nights for only $311 plus tax, which also includes breakfast in bed for two during both of the mornings of your stay. Please call O.Henry Hotel at 336-854-2000 or Proximity Hotel at 336-379-8200 for reservations.
• New Year’s Day Menus: Make sure that 2011 is your luckiest year ever by joining us at Lucky 32 on New Year’s Day. We’ll feature our full menu plus some “good luck” special selections like collard greens, country ham with red-eye gravy, and hoppin’ john.
• Enjoy the Arts! Bring your sweetie for a romantic getaway with special O.Henry packages for Triad Stage (see the Christmas Carol on November 26 through December 24), Winter Show at Green Hill Center for NC Art featuring 150 artists featured December 4 – January 15 (package includes limited edition print) and the New Year’s Eve at the Greensboro Symphony Package (December 31). Please go to ohenryhotel.com for the full scoop.
If your company, or a company you know of, books forty or more guest rooms per year you’ll want to know about our new Loyalty Program at our hotels. Here are some details:
For more information, contact Ruth Darling Heyd at email@example.com or 336.544.9609.
Recipe: Cheerwine Chocolate Pound Cake
Go to lucky32.com for this yummy holiday recipe..
Visit printworksbistro.com, greenvalleygrill.com and lucky32.com for the current seasonal menus, the latest wine list and online reservations via OpenTable.com (featuring a nifty rewards program). With larger parties we offer pre-ordering to expedite service so you have more time to enjoy your visit.
© 2010 Quaintance-Weaver