This economic thing (which we are calling the “Great Recalibration”) is something that grabbed ahold of all of us late last year, and it wouldn’t have been something we’d have ordered, but we are finding some pretty significant silver linings to this cloud. It has caused us to double down on many of our commitments to be of genuine service to our community of guests and our community of staff members.
Read on and you’ll hear some about that and also learn about some special things we’re doing around the holidays, plus the scoop on a really exciting art project.
Cheers! Dennis Quaintance & Nancy King Quaintance
Like everyone, we’ve done some belt tightening, but I challenge anyone to show how doing so has affected his or her experience as a guest. Less people are dining in restaurants and staying in hotels. But that’s just temporary, so we are using this situation as a spark plug to deliver even more for our guests.
Here is an example. It is my experience that beautiful, soulful visual art warms one’s spirit, so we’ve long wanted to have original art in each of our guest rooms at the O.Henry Hotel, just as we do at the Proximity. We turned to our great friend and extraordinary artist Chip Holton and asked him what he could see in our guest rooms. Chip, along with our design guru, Bradshaw Orrell, and our design team manager, Angie Kenny, and I commenced a collaborative powwow to figure out a doable solution. We found one that absolutely tickles me pink. Chip is painting more than 140 original watercolors for our guest rooms and suites! They are vignettes from around the O.Henry and the Green Valley Grill. Next time you stop by, wander around or ask one of our staff members where Chip is painting. What a cool thing! It is an absolute joy seeing him paint gatherings of lovely people taking tea in our social lobby or enjoying breakfast in our newly christened Don Rives Cloister Garden.
After he finishes these (which will be quite a while), we’ve asked him to do some pen-and-ink sketches of seasonal vignettes from around the Green Valley Grill that we can use to graphically distinguish the menus that change each month. We’ll frame these originals for the public spaces in the hotel. Chip’s art is for real. I am so impressed; impressed enough that we are getting high quality images made of some of the art so that we can make reproductions available for sale.
P.S. Order your free copy of the NC Travel Guide that features us on the cover at visitnc.com.
I went home that night and opened a bottle of champagne with my bride and made a toast to Leigh and Martin. And, guess what? That was a few weeks ago. I know, as sure as I know I love my family and friends, that it takes this kind of effort every day to keep a kitchen operating at this level. We know we are only as good as the last meal we served!
It’s a little late in the year to be bragging about this but the gardens have matured so well and so fast that you’d think we had these plants on growth hormones. That’s not it. They are happy because we planted them in worm castings (that’s what comes out of the south end of a northbound worm), and the plants must really like that. For instance, the Horn Beam trees in front of the bistro doors were less than 6 feet tall when we opened and now they are over 10 feet tall! So, when temperate weather is ours, do not pass go, drop in and dine outside at Print Works. And, when that temperate weather strikes, we can now open the doors between the dining rooms and the gardens so you can dine “inside out.” Or is it “outside in?”
- Turkey-to-Go:Enjoy Green Valley Grill’swonderful cooking with Thanksgiving-to-Go.Place your order by 10 p.m., Monday, November 23, and then stop by on Thanksgiving Day to pick up your juicy, wood-fired, rotisserie-roasted turkey with all the trimmings, including sides, salads, bread and dessert. To make your reservation or to place your order, call Green Valley Grill at 336-854-2015 or visit greenvalleygrill.com.
- Christmas Dinner-to-Go:Enjoy Christmas morning around the tree instead of in the kitchen. Let Print Works Bistro do your cooking with its inaugural Christmas Dinner-to-Go. Place your order by 10 p.m., Monday, December 21, and then stop by on Christmas morning to pick up your holiday feast. To make your reservation or to place your order, call Print Works Bistro at 336-379-0699 or visit printworksbistro.com.
- Thanksgiving & Christmas Dining:While Lucky 32 won’t be open, you can bring your clan to Green Valley Grillor Print Works Bistro. Their dining rooms will be open 12 noon–8 p.m. (with several holiday specials) and the bar will be open until 11 p.m. on Thanksgiving with the late night menu. To make your reservation, please contact Green Valley Grill at 336-854-2015 or greenvalleygrill.com and Print Works at 336-379-0699 or printworksbistro.com.
- Holiday Tea at O.Henry Hotel:The story of The
Nutcracker will delight all ages as we combine traditions
of the holiday season on two Sundays, December 6 and 13,at 2 p.m. Dreams of dancing sugar plum fairies, toy soldiers and waltzing flowers have inspired the special treats that will accompany your choice of tea, warm apple cider or hot chocolate. Afterwards, each child can decorate an ornament and help our chefs make ginger bread houses; all accompanied by music and costumed characters. Afterwards, join Clara by the tree as she reads The Nutcracker. Bring your camera! Cost is $38 per person for adults and children, plus 20% service charge. Call Green Valley Grill at 336-854-2015 for reservations.
- Gift Certificates:You can order Quaintance-Weaver gift certificates that can be used at any of our businesses by going to qwrh.comor calling our Gift Certificate Hotline at 336-370-0966. We’ll put the gift certificates in the mail to you, or to the fortunate recipient.
- Group Celebrations:Bring your bunch to our restaurants or hotels for a festive celebration. We offer reservations, call-ahead seating and even a pre-ordering service that expedites service for larger parties. At Lucky 32,order from our full menu in our private and semi-private dining areas. At Lucky’s in Cary, we can handle up to 70 people in our semi-private dining area! In Greensboro, their private dining room seats 10, and they can host larger parties in the dining room. To enjoy the extraordinary food from Green Valley Grill or Print Works Bistro in the beautiful private event spaces of the hotels, please contact the events team at 336-544-9615 (O.Henry) or 336-478-9111 (Proximity). We can host an intimate gathering of 15 or a bash for 150.
- Get Lucky & PARTY!No time to prepare that covered dish? Let us cook for your office gathering or weekend party. You call, we cook and we bring your order right to your car when you arrive. Pick up half-pint and pint options of collards, soup, beans and greens, whipped sweet potatoes, creamy grits, pimento cheese, artichoke dip, and don’t forget the black bean cakes. For complete Get Lucky & Gomenus, visit lucky32.com.
- Give yourself or someone else the perfect gift this holiday season and stay with a Holiday Package at O.Henry Hotel.
Gift of the Magi Package: Here is a respite from the frantic holiday season. The package includes a copy of O.Henry’s short stories, a $30 voucher for Green Valley Grill and other amenities such as Afternoon Tea. The package also includes a full hot breakfast buffet, and a late check-out of 2 p.m. the next day for only $199 plus tax. Available on Friday or Saturday nights from November 13th until December 13th, or any night from December 14th until January 10th, 2010 (excluding New Year’s Eve).
$210 in 2010 Package: Celebrate the arrival of the New Year at the O.Henry Hotel with priority reservations at Green Valley Grill on New Year’s Eve, a champagne toast for two, and a full, hot breakfast buffet for $210 plus tax. Stay for two nights for only $310 plus tax, which also includes breakfast in bed for two during one of the mornings of your stay.
- You don’t have to travel far to feel as if you are miles away from home with Proximity’s Holiday Packages.
Sustainable Cheer: Stay on a Friday or Saturday night from November 13th till December 13th, or any night from December 14th until January 10th, 2010 (except New Year’s Eve) and receive a special rate of $199, which includes a $30 amenity voucher for Print Works Bistro or other hotel amenities. Celebrate the Holiday Season by checking in at 2 p.m. and take a ride in our London Taxi to the Friendly Center for holiday shopping. When you return, enjoy a very special lunch or dinner at the Print Works Bistro.
$210 in 2010 Package: Say goodbye to 2009 and welcome 2010 at Proximity! The $210 in 2010 package includes priority reservations at Print Works Bistro on New Year’s Eve and sparkling wine to toast the New Year for $210 plus tax. Have twice the fun with a two-night package for only $310 plus tax, which also includes breakfast in bed for two, both mornings.
- New Year’s Day Menus:Make sure that 2010 is your luckiest year ever by joining us at Lucky 32 on New Year’s Day. We’ll feature our full menu plus some “good luck” special selections like collard greens, country ham with red-eye gravy, and Hoppin’ John. Print Works will also have a special New Year’s menu.
November 27 – December 23: “Beautiful Star: An Appalachian Nativity”
February 7 – 28: “Around the World in 80 Days”
April 11 – May 2: “Ethel Waters: His Eye is on the Sparrow”
Go to printworksbistro.com for this yummy holiday recipe..
Menus & Reservations
Visit printworksbistro.com, greenvalleygrill.com and lucky32.com for the current seasonal menus, the latest wine list and online reservations via OpenTable.com (featuring a nifty rewards program). With larger parties we offer pre-ordering to expedite service so you have more time to enjoy your visit.